Saturday, November 07, 2009

Retweet vs email forward

Awhile ago, Anil Dash (http://twitter.com/anildash) tweeted..

"It's an interesting accident of history that we consider sharing tweets "retweeting" instead of "forwarding", like in email. RT = FWD?"

This annoyed me on two levels:
  • It made me think
  • I disagreed, but couldn't pin down why
Upon further reflection (to the degree I can execute that) I still do not think they are the same thing. Why? Well, best I can come up with so far is:
  • There is a stronger validation with a retweet than a forward
  • My email address book and Twitter follower lists are not identical, and there is a reason for that
  • The act of retweeting is more public - those beyond my lists (followers or email) can be exposed to the content I resurface

5 comments:


  1. This annoyed me on two levels:

    It made me think
    I disagreed, but couldn't pin down why



    This is exactly the kind of response that delights me most. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:47 AM

    Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:24 AM

    I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:41 AM

    It sounds like you're creating problems yourself by trying to solve this issue instead of looking at why their is a problem in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:58 AM

    i absolutely adore your own posting choice, very attractive,
    don't give up and also keep writing as it simply well worth to read it.
    impatient to see additional of your current content, goodbye ;)

    ReplyDelete