Sunday, November 09, 2008

Semantic web and the market

Twine is an interesting approach to address parts of the whole web 3.o / semantic web thing. To me, the race is between people (web 2.0) or data/metadata (web 3.0) as the best method to survive the explosion of content and services.

Everyone is a content producer now, more can now be a developer as well. As the pile of all of this grows and grows we have to find better ways to store and search it. A hint for me that this is real - I have to go get a 500 gig hard drive to better support my back-up needs now. 500. Gig.

At a high level web 2.0 is people-centric, web 3.0 is data-centric. In economic(ish) terms, web 3.0 implies more authoritative involvement in the information marketplace. I remain a free market kinda guy and I am buying the hard drive to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment