Wednesday, October 10, 2007

On this day in 1979... Pac-Man arrives

The grand-daddy of video games, Pac-Man made it's way to America's shores on Oct. 10, 1979.

A few years later, we counted the days until we could shell out around $60 (1980s dollars!!) for the Atari 2600 version. Without a doubt the WORST translation on the game possible. The "Pac-Man" looked more like a lumbering, mutated, pixelated stop sign. This remains my ultimate moment of buyer's remorse.

It would have been moved to second place in my big mistakes list if I had not bailed at the last moment in purchasing the red LED 3-D Nintendo thingie - that looked just a bit too much like the result of an unholy union between a sniper rifle and a Viewmaster.

1 comment:

  1. I do remember being completely disappointed by the 2600 version of Pac-Man, but I was only 10 at the time... we just played it all day anyway (interspersed with the occasional Asteroids tournament).

    ReplyDelete