Thursday, March 14, 2013

#Hashtags

I remain convinced Twitter is the best social networking platform.  The main reasons why are:
  1. It an interest-based, verses relationship-based, framework
  2. It is the most timely and least cluttered channel
  3. Hashtags
As far as I am concerned, next to fire and the wheel, hashtags are the greatest human discovery.  Talk about flexibility... 

Grouping: I hate the Packers #Bears
Exclamation: I hate the Packers #GoBears
Asides: I hate the Packers #justsayin
Summary: I hate the Packers #GoBears #ToothlessFans #MatthewsIsRoidedUp
Statement: #FrickenPackers

Hashtags belong to the people. They can't be owned. You decide how to use them. You can't use them "wrong".  Ok, actually you can.  Here are my rules:
  1. Unless it is part of a hashtag game, put them at the end
  2. Use no more than three 
  3. #Longhashtagsareokbutonlyifthereareworthit
  4. As illustrated in this post, your call on the use of capital letters
  5. OK to use in Twitter, G+, Tumbler, and Instagram
  6. Not OK to use in Facebook or e-mails (I am exempt from this rule)
Finally, I would like to claim credit for two very useful hashtags:

#improvedbyaddingzombies
#depressingpoemstarts (most often utilized with a retweet)
  
And while this concept well predates hashtags, I think we all can agree the world is a better place if the was more widespread use of...

#greatbandname

No comments:

Post a Comment